Teri Ahders

Teri Ahders, 64, of Olathe, Kansas, passed away at home on July 12, 2012 after a long battle with cancer.  A Memorial Service will be held at 7pm on Wednesday, July 18 at the Wesley Chapel, United Methodist Church of the Resurrection, Leawood, KS with a reception to follow.  In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that memorial contributions be made to Hospice Services at Olathe Health System.

She was born April 13, 1948 in Grand Forks, North Dakota. During the Vietnam War, Teri worked for the American Red Cross as a Field Director.  In 1975, she married the love of her life, Rich Ahders, in Omaha, Nebraska and they enjoyed 37 years of marriage.  Teri and Rich moved to the Kansas City area in 1982 where they raised their two children, Tim and Jill.  For the past 19 years, she has been employed at Olathe East High School.

Teri was preceded in death by her mother and father.  She is survived by her husband, Rich, her children and their spouses, Tim and Krystal Ahders, Prairie Village, Kansas and Jill and Don Calhoun, Olathe, Kansas, brother John (Nikki) Bathgate, Milaca, Minnesota, and beloved dog, Lucy.

1. Don, Darlene, Ken and Danielle Calhoun on July 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Dear Rich, Tim, Jill and Family,

Tonight, when you look up, don’t think of them as stars, think of them as porch lights welcoming your loved one safely home. Sending you thoughts of peace during your time of sorrow. Teri will live on in the hearts of everyone who loved her. We are honored to have known her. We wish there was something we could do to change the way things are for you right now. Just know that we care – and we are always here for you. We are sorry for your loss. Your Mom was a special lady.

2. Keith Larkin on July 18, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I worked with Teri nearly everyday when I was a technical theater manager for Olathe East. She was always so sweet to me. She knew I was busy teaching and did what she could to make my tech job as easy as possible. She was always concerned for my kids, always asking about them. I always had to practically pry her concerns about her cancer out of her. She did not want to burden others with her struggles. But I am glad I had the chance to do my best to bear what little burden I could for her. There’s a lot more love in this world now because she was here as long as she was.

3. LuAnn Fox on July 18, 2012 at 11:27 am

If you knew this woman at all, you liked her. If you knew her well, you loved her. How could you not love someone with such warmth, compassion, dignity, and grace? Someone who would make inquiries about you and try to make your life a little easier when she was dealing uncomplainingly with her own struggles? Someone who was grateful for every last little thing while giving freely of herself? Sad as I at her absence, I rejoice wuth her as she has journeyed Home.

4. Eileen McDonald on July 18, 2012 at 7:48 am

Dear Rich, Tim and Jill – Teri was my friend and assistant and she left a big soft mark on my heart the first year we worked together. My professional life was enjoyable because of Teri. She always made me laugh when difficult situations arose with her usual “well, that wasn’t fun!”. She touched so many lives and left a legacy of kindness, compassion, warmth and strength. Sad loss – fond memories… God bless you

5. Robin Motta RN on July 17, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Teri reflected Christ in her actions and through her eyes. She was unselfish. Always thinking of others before herself. She made me feel appreciated and kept me directed as a newer employee at OE.

6. Bonnie on July 17, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I truly enjoyed caring for Teri and she will be missed. I so glad she is home in heaven and now pain free. I hope you are able to find comfort knowing she is in Jesus’ arms. God bless you!

7. Angel & Craig on July 17, 2012 at 9:14 am

Jill and Family,

We are so saddened to hear about the loss of such a sweet person. Teri always gave warm hugs and was genuinely interested in the other person. I am so fortunate to have met her. She will be dearly missed.

8. Christine Sanders on July 16, 2012 at 6:29 pm

In the short time that I worked with Teri, she became my friend. I will treasure our friendship. I will miss you tremendously at OE. My prayers and thoughts are with your family during this difficult time.

9. LoRee Knoll on July 16, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Teri has been a wonderful friend. She always had care and concern for everyone. She was the first to volunteer for Harvestets and there to have a helping hand for staff members. I am sorry for your loss. I will miss her.

10. Sandy Buggs on July 16, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Teri was my Best Friend and Confidant from the time she moved to Janesville Wisconsin in 6th grade to 11th grade. Then she moved to Madison as a Senior. We were inseparable, together in school, after school and on weekends. I still have all the notes we passed and the letters she sent.
    She always had me cracking up with her dry wit and humorous outlook on life!
    We were “Beatles” fans extaordinaire! The mere mention of “Paul McCartney’s name would have Teri throwing her school papers into the wind, oh so dramatically!! I’ll never forget how she absolutely begged her Mother on bended knee to drive us to Chicago to see them at “Soldier Field”
    Teri’s mother, Jean, was always sooo good to us!!
    Thank you Teri!!!!…..for all the wonderful memories. You are my BFF!!!

11. JoAnn Morgan on July 16, 2012 at 10:38 am

Rich,Jill & Tim,
    I am so sorry to hear of Teri’s passing. I will always remember what a fun, sweet ” Drlll Team Mom” she was, wonderful secretary at OE, always ready to help with anything you needed. I will miss her beautiful smile and kind words. My heart and prayers are with all of you during this very difficult time.
    My sincere sympathy to all of you.

12. Bill and Martha Biggs on July 16, 2012 at 10:23 am

We loved Teri. The value of her constant concern and sweet spirit made going into the OE office so pleasant for us. We will miss her greatly. Our thoughts are with you all.

13. Kris & Jeremy Karstetter on July 16, 2012 at 7:55 am

Tim and family,
    We are very sorry for your loss and are thinking about you all the time. Your mom was a very special and loving person. We are blessed to have known her. You, Krystal, and the rest of your family our in our prayers.

14. Anne LaMar on July 15, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I am sorry for your loss. Teri was a terrific person and I enjoyed her kind and friendly personality. She will be greatly missed! My thoughts and prayers are with all of you during this difficult time.

15. amy on July 15, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Words cannot express the sadness that cancer causes. Your family is in my prayers. Teri always had a kind word and a caring smile. She will be missed.

16. Phil/Karen Lyman on July 15, 2012 at 11:37 am

Rich, Tim and Jill
    We are so sorry to hear about Teri. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. She will be missed dearly.

17. Anita Felzke on July 15, 2012 at 11:10 am

I was so sorry to read about Teri’s passing in the paper. She was such a devoted Mom and fun lady to talk to when I had Jill (in 2nd grade). I have you all in my thoughts and prayers.

18. Tammy Robinette on July 14, 2012 at 7:14 pm

I have so many wonderful memories of Teri. When I came to OE nine years ago she went out of her way to help me in so many ways. She quickly became someone that made even the worst day at work brighter with her kind words, and gentle spirit. I will genuinely miss her loving presence in my life. My heart goes out to you all.

19. Linda Bondick on July 14, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Teri will be remembered as a good friend, and kind person. She always had a great smile and a warm heart. Teri was my friend since she lived in Wisconsin as a young girl. We were roommates in Madison when we were single girls working for the Red Cross together. I will never forget her. For Teri’s family may the peace which comes from the memories of love shared, comfort you now and in the days ahead.

20. Andrew & Lindsey Calovich on July 14, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Jill and Family,
    Our thoughts and prayers are with during this difficult time. I will not forget how thoughtful Teri was, she was a great mother!

21. Jeanne and Paul Cummings on July 14, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Our prayers are with you all. Teri occupies a special place in our hearts as a former neighbor and special friend. We are so sorry for your loss. She was an amazing woman.

22. Sarah Weaver and Family on July 14, 2012 at 9:11 am

So very sorry for your loss. Teri will always be remembered as a warm, kind and loving person. You are all in my thoughts and prayers!

23. Keeley on July 14, 2012 at 8:48 am

Words cannot express the emotions nor sooth the soul for what you all must be going through. Just know you are being thought of during this difficult time.

24. Sue Reaka and Family on July 13, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Rich, Tim and Jill,

Words cannot express the deep sadness in my heart over your loss. I am so sorry to hear of Teri’s passing. May the peace which comes from the memories of love shared comfort you now and in the days ahead.

My thoughts, prayers, and love are with you and your family during this most difficult time.

25. Jean Uher on July 13, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Teri has left me 27 years of wonderful memories. Smiles, tears, joy and heartaches…we shared them all. Gone too soon. Never forgotten.