Richard F. Hansen

in-loving-memory

Richard F. Hansen, 66, of Shawnee, Kansas, passed away unexpectedly February 28, 2011.

A devoted husband, father and grandfather, Richard is survived by his wife of 42 years, Jill, and daughter, Kristin Wood, both of Shawnee, son, Michael Hansen and his wife Nicole of Paris, France and grandchildren Miles and Olivia Wood.

He was born August 11, 1944 in Kansas City, MO, son of Norman H. and Trudie Hansen. A life-long Kansas City resident, he graduated from SM East High School, attended the University of Kansas and graduated from Baker University in 1970. Richard served in the US Army and completed a tour of duty in Viet Nam in 1969.

Richard was VP Account Services for Staples Promotional Products (formerly known as American Identity and prior to that Swingster) where he dedicated 36 years of his career.

A Memorial Service will be held at 2 pm, Saturday, March 5, 2011 at Westside Family Church, 8500 Woodsonia Dr., Lenexa, KS 66227.

Richard shared a passion for travel with his wife, children and grandchildren, creating many of his most precious family memories. In celebration of his life, at a private family ceremony, his remains will be cast along the Cote d’ Azur, his favorite holiday destination in France.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the American Lung Assn.

1. Jan Colvin on March 9, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I was heart broken when I heard of Dick’s death. Some of my favorite memories from the past involved Jill and Dick. Please know all of you are being thought of.
    Love,
    Jan Colvin
    316-425-6060

2. Jeana Johnson on March 9, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I’m shocked and saddened to hear of Dick’s untimely death. It was a pleasure working with him. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

3. Mary and Brian Volkers on March 6, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Jill and family,
    We have so many fond memories of Dick when we first joined Swingster 35 years ago….You and Dick were some of the first friends we made in KC, and we had many fun times together……truly a gentleman, Dick will be missed.

4. Judi Lenox on March 6, 2011 at 8:16 am

I worked with Dick for 15 years. It’s been 7 long years since, yet he continued to send an occasional email to see how I was doing. That’s the kind of man he was and his caring meant a lot to me. His updates were never about work, always about family. Dick was dedicated to his work, but his true joy and devotion were to his wife, children and grandchildren. Jill and family, I am so very sorry for your loss and pray God will give you the Peace that passes all understanding as you find your way through the days ahead.

5. Karen Kuder on March 5, 2011 at 2:08 pm

My deepest condolences go out to the Hansen family. Dick was a gentleman generous with his leadership. His wit and sense of humor made each day a little better. Remember that people die but love never does. May that love and the grace of God comfort you in the days to come.

6. Sally Gillam on March 5, 2011 at 1:19 pm

My prayers are with Dick’s family during this difficult time. I have fond memories of working with Dick for many years. I had the utmost respect for him. Above all he was a gentleman, and such a nice man. He will be missed by all who’s lives he touched. Heaven received a special Angel this week.

7. Carol Kelly on March 5, 2011 at 10:28 am

I was so shocked and saddened to hear Dick passed away. We shared interesting exchanges about things to do and see in the Kansas City area. Dick was kind enough to send me information about the art museum and Truman library. The world has lost a true gentleman — and there are so very few. Dick will be missed by many. Sincere condolences to his family and co-workers.

8. Shel Osterle on March 5, 2011 at 10:25 am

I first met Dick when I started working at Swingster in 1988. For over 20 years, he was a professional mentor, lifesaver, confidente and friend. I will never forget you, Dick…and will never be able to see a Snap-On truck go by without smiling and remembering you. My prayers go out to your family, who must be feeling such a loss without your wit, compassion and generous nature. Rest in Peace, my friend, you’ve earned it.

9. Bruce Berry on March 5, 2011 at 8:31 am

Dick was a close and trusted “buddy” at SME and KU. His passing floods my mind with fond and lasting memories. I will forever charish the privilege of his friendship. My condolences to Jill and family.

10. John Garrity on March 5, 2011 at 7:10 am

I was so sorry to hear about Dick’s passing. He was a wonderful man who was always willing to help in any way and provide a kind and encouraging word to those he worked with. My sincerest condolences to family and all his co-workers.

11. norma rice on March 4, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Words cannot relay the sorrow that is felt with Dick’s passing. His entire work family is in shock as are those who knew him over his many years in this industry. He was a true gentleman; an ambassador, father figure, mentor, wickedly funny comedian, world traveler and a friend that you could always rely on. Prayers go out to his family, Jill, Michael, Kristin, Nicole, Olivia and Miles. Thank you all for letting us share this man that you so fondly called husband, dad, and grandfather. May you all find peace and comfort in the coming days.

12. Joni Roline on March 4, 2011 at 12:43 pm

My sincere and deepest sympathy to Dick’s family for his loss. I worked with Dick for 29 years and had the utmost respect and admiration for him. His sense of humor made working with him even more enjoyable and brought levity to the workplace. Words cannot express how much he will be missed.

13. Sean Knockemus on March 4, 2011 at 11:59 am

My prayers go out to all of Dick’s Family. As others have said, there was only one Dick Hansen. A man that bought a smile to your face and a pick me up when you were having a bad day. I could always count on his warm smile or laugh when I needed it most. Calm, cool and most of all RESPECTED. Dick was a very respected man at his business and I am thankful for having the pleasure to get to work with him for 10 years. In the future when I come across Snap On of any kind I will remember my co worker, Dick Hansen. May God Bless him and his family and friends as they get through this time of loss.

14. Johnny Lais on March 4, 2011 at 11:52 am

I am so sorry to hear of Dick’s passing. He was such a kind, warm and loving gentleman. He had a quiet strength and gentleness that is seldom seen today. He was absolutely a great friend, confidant and mentor to me for almost 14 years and I truly appreciated his heart and everything he did for me, and others.
    May God bless him in heaven now (I know that’s where he’s gone!) and give his family strength and guidance through this difficult time.
    And I tell you this humbly, it was truly an honor to have known and worked with him.

May God Bless all of you.

Johnny Lais

15. Ken Stone on March 4, 2011 at 9:47 am

My prayers are for comfort and peace go to Jill, Kristin, Michael and families. I have very wonderful memories of Dick from SME / KU days. He will always be close to my heart. May God grant Jill and family reassurance of His love and strength to persist. Blessings Ken

16. Brian Parsell from Brennan & Howard/MAS on March 4, 2011 at 9:10 am

Dick was a great guy and a real gentleman. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

17. Melissa Koehn on March 3, 2011 at 9:18 pm

My heart goes out to the family during this difficult time. Dick was one of those that made even the small people feel important. He was always there to listen and help. He will be missed very much.

My thoughts are prayers are with you.

Melissa

18. Janet Scharf on March 3, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I want to extend my condolences to Dick’s entire family and network of friends. It was a privilege to have known him. He was a very special man and I will miss working with him.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of you during this very difficult time.

19. Michele Kuebelbeck on March 3, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Wow! I never met your father, Kristin, but after reading all of the messages above, I wish I had. What a wonderful person he must have been to be loved by so many! My heart goes out to you and your family! We will keep you in our prayers!
    Love, Michele

20. Mandy Koehn on March 3, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I was very shocked and saddened to hear about the loss of Dick Hansen. It still seems hard to believe but he will certainly be missed by so many people. He was such a great person, I don’t think I ever saw him angry. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

21. Alicia Smales - Snap-on on March 3, 2011 at 6:40 pm

To the Hansen Family;
    I wanted to extend my condolences to all of you. I only knew Dick for a few years, but he made a positive impression on me from the start. He had a quiet confidence, led by example and had alot of patience for people like me who were new to the industry. He was always quick with a smile or a tidbit of wisdom. My thoughts and prayers are with you all during this difficult time.
    Kind regards,
    Alicia Smales
    Snap-on

22. Elaine Rutherford on March 3, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Kristin, My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I know how hard it is to lose your beloved Father.
    Love, Elaine

23. Laura Taylor on March 3, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss and heartbreak. Words cannot express how much Dick will be missed.

I had the privilege and pleasure to have worked with Dick for many years.

Please know his kindness, laughter, and dedication to his family taught me life lessons I won’t ever forget.

24. Brenda Estes on March 3, 2011 at 2:53 pm

It was a privalage to work alongside a man for 13 years that truly had a passion for his family, work and life.

He was always looking out for everyone!

My thoughts and prays go out to his family!

25. Teresa Kendrick on March 3, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I pray for strenght for Dick’s family. He was one of a kind..I loved his sense of humor. You never knew what he was going to do, but you knew he always had your back! Dick Hansen will continue to be someone I look up to and have the utmost respect for. He will be greatly missed.