Jonathan Alan McGrath

in-loving-memory

Jonathan Alan McGrath, 35, of Kansas City, Kansas, died September 15, 2011 at his home.

He was born August 31, 1976 in Wilmington, DE, son of David A.  and Thelma M. McGrath.

No local services are planned.

1. Anne Miller-Porter on September 21, 2011 at 5:18 pm

After his mom passed, Jon told me that now I was his Kansas City mom and that touched me deeply. I just wish he had come home to dinner more often. I will miss his sweet smile, his love of “all things beautiful,” and his devotion to sharing and interpreting nature to thousands of children and adults. To his family, may you find peace and comfort in knowing he was loved by many.

2. Katie Korte on September 21, 2011 at 4:26 pm

Jon was a wonderful co-worker, always ready to help with a smile on his face. His knowledge of nature and culture was great, as was his ability to get kids and adults alike excited about what he was teaching them. I’ll always remember when Jon helped out at our Teen Lock-In — he helped the kids create and fly paper airplanes off our balcony. The kids had a blast, and I think Jon did, too. My thoughts of peace go out to Jon’s friends and family at this time.

3. Laura Loveless on September 21, 2011 at 2:25 pm

My deepest thoughts and prayers for your family. My last conversation with Jon was filled with laughter and jokes and I will remember it often. May you find peace in the knowledge that Jon touched many lives here in KCK. He will be missed greatly.

4. Darla Brown on September 21, 2011 at 2:24 pm

John was a sweetheart. He helped with our Lockin and performed beautifully. I remember his excitement about nature and love for education. His talent and understated abilities will be missed. All our prayers.

5. Carol Levers, Director of Libraries KCKPL on September 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm

To Jon’s family and friends. On behalf of KCKPL, I would like to express our sincere condolences and sympathy. We were saddened to hear the news about the passing of Jon. He has been such a great friend and caring person. As Molly Fumia so eloquently said The season of mourning, like spring, summer, fall and winter, will also pass, but always remember “Those who live in the hearts of others never die.”

Keeping you in our thoughts during this difficult time.

6. Lisa Gaume Jones on September 21, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I was so sorry to hear about Jon’s passing, he was such an invaluable assest to the lake library. My fondest memory of Jon will always be at our last inservice sitting in the star lab having Jon explain the various constellations, it made me realize what a wonderful impact he had on the children of our community because I felt like a wide-eyed kid myself just listening to him. His love and passion for his work will be deeply missed. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this painful time.

7. Jacob Bond on September 21, 2011 at 12:27 pm

I worked with Jon for about three months last year during the summer at his library. I had the opportunity to work with him more throughout the next year, as he would teach truly wonderful nature programs at our library. Jon was truly one of the most helpful and kind people I have ever known. He touched the lives of those who met him, and he will truly be missed.

8. Helen Rigdon on September 21, 2011 at 12:21 pm

It is with a heavy heart that I write this message. To Jon’s family know that Jon was a wonderful person to everyone that knew him. He loved nature and the outdoors and it was apparent in his work – I had the privilege of working closely with him at KCKPL. Please know that he touched everyone’s lives and left us better for having known him and that Mother Nature has lost a great champion. He will be missed by so many.

9. Craig Hensley on September 21, 2011 at 11:01 am

To Jon’s family and friends, I was Jon’s supervisor for the past year and came to know him as a decent, talented, intelligent and gifted person and educator. Jon’s gift for teaching and sharing his love and passion for the natural world touched the lives of literally thousands of children in Wyandotte County and beyond. Jon truly cared about others in a way not commonly found today. I am proud to have known him and call him a friend. I wish Jon peace and I hope that all of you will find solace in the knowledge that he was loved by many and will always be remembered by those same people fondly. Jon lived too short of a life and we have lost a talented, lovely person. May you all find peace.

10. Bridgette DeSmet on September 21, 2011 at 9:35 am

Jon was always had a smile and great enthusiasm. He really brought the eagles at the lake to life for everyone with his amazing photos. He will be missed by all. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

11. Alice Pierson on September 21, 2011 at 8:58 am

I am so sorry for your loss. I only met Jon a few times at library work events, but he was always such a kind and friendly person. He will be missed.

12. Brenda Redmond on September 21, 2011 at 8:43 am

I worked with Jon during special library programs and will miss him. He was very talented and always willing to do programs at all of our branches. I could tell that he enjoyed his work. My thoughts are with your family.

13. Kari Cubbage on September 21, 2011 at 8:19 am

I pray peace and comfort for your family. Jon will be missed.

14. Stephanie Robker on September 21, 2011 at 7:58 am

Jon was a good friend and coworker, the first person in Kansas City to offer me friendship outside the library as well as at work. He always happily volunteered to do programs at my library and the patrons and staff always looked forward seeing him teach. We miss him now and will continue to feel his absence in the future.

15. Sarah Bohndorf on September 21, 2011 at 7:26 am

My thoughts and prayers are with your family at this sad time. Jon was always willing to help and always had great ideas for programs and services for the library. He will be greatly missed.

16. Kellie North on September 20, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I was so sorry to hear of Jon’s passing. His family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers during this most difficult of times. Please know he touched many lives at KCKPL, and he will be missed.

17. Lisa Gooden on September 20, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Peace and love to your family. Jon was a gifted and caring educator and his contributions to the library were great. He will be missed.

18. Cheri on September 20, 2011 at 2:49 pm

To Jon’s family,
    I had the pleasure of working with Jon the last few years during special programs. He was an amazing person who truly cared about making a difference and showing students how wonderful nature is. He was a very caring person and he will be missed by many who got the chance to know him. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this sad time. I am very sorry for your loss.

19. Patti Myers on September 20, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I am very sorry to hear about Jon’s passing. I send my sincere condolences to his family and friends. He will be missed.

20. Lora Farrell on September 20, 2011 at 1:05 pm

My heartfelt condolences to all of you. I only met Jon a few times but he was very kind and friendly each time. I have really enjoyed his nature photographs.
    Peace to your family.

21. Barbara Jolley on September 20, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I am so sorry. Jon was a wonderful member of the library staff and we miss him a great deal. My condolences to his family and friends.

22. Pat Bryant on September 20, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I am another of Jon’s KCKPL coworkers and was shocked and saddened to hear of his death. My sincere condolences to his family and loved ones for their loss.

23. Mary Vera on September 20, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I liked working with Jon when i volunteer at F.L.Schlagle Library he always had a smile. He was a friendly person.

24. Sheryl Nance-Durst on September 20, 2011 at 11:58 am

Everyone here at the library was very sad when we learned of Jon’s passing. He will be missed.

25. Terri Cline on September 20, 2011 at 11:34 am

I worked with Jon and he was a great asset to the library and our community. I was deeply saddened to learn of his passing. He will be missed by many.