Jim Valentik

IMG_2357 (2) (1)

Jim Valentik, 78, of Lee’s Summit, MO, passed away at his home on April 27, 2022, surrounded by his loved ones.

Jim was born in St. Louis, MO to Steve G. Valentik and Ruth (Kendall) Valentik on July 1, 1943 one of four children. He grew up in Hannibal, MO graduating for Hannibal High School in 1962 where he excelled in football, basketball, and track. He attended the University of Missouri on a Division 1 athletic scholarship graduating in 1967 with a BSE. He received his Master of Education degree from Central Missouri State University in 1973. Jim served in the Army National Guard from 1969-1976.

He met his wife Kay at summer school at Central Missouri State University and they were married September 21, 1968 in Warrensburg, Missouri.

His career and love were teaching and coaching. He taught in Hannibal, Mexico Public Schools, and Community R-VI where he taught Driver’s Education, k-12 physical education, and middle school health. He coached football, boys’ and girls’ basketball, track, boys’ golf, and softball. He worked in the Parks and Recreation departments in Mexico and Grain Valley, MO. After retiring from Mexico Public Schools in 2007, he and Kay moved to Grain Valley. He began substitute teaching in the Grain Valley School District in 2007 ending May, 2021.

He loved the outdoors, golf outings, fishing, hunting, and his annual winter float trips with Andy Baker, eating pizza at Merrill’s in Moberly, and G & D’s (Alex and Pano) in Columbia; traveling to Bevier to eat at the Pear Tree Restaurant. He loved feeding the birds and deer that come into our yard. He loved his cigar and chatting with neighbors who walked by. He was also a prankster.

Jim was a former member of St. John Lutheran Church, Mexico, MO and a present member of Timothy Lutheran Church, Blue Springs.

He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Kay; daughter Krista (TJ), granddaughter Emily (Madison) Steiner, brother-in-law Mike (Janet) Green; sister-in-law Juli (Keith) Wingert; special peeps Lauren and Colton Dolby, his special fur babies Gabby, Milky, Finn and Huck. And many nieces and nephews.

He is preceded in death by his infant sister Carol Ann Valentik; parents, Steve and Ruth Valentik; his brother Steve P. Valentik; and his sister and brother-in-law Bette and Bill Griggs.

Service

Visitation and the Celebration of Life service will be held June 4, 2022, at the First Presbyterian Church, 400 Lakeview Road, Mexico, MO 65265, beginning at 10am with service following at 11am.

Memorial Contributions

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Missouri Patriot Paws (mopatriotpaws.org), Good Sports.org, or donations can be made out to Kay Valentik, and they will be used for a non-profit we are establishing in Coach Val’s name to support local softball (Mexico and Community RVI) and Mexico high school football.

Hubba Hubba Coach Val.

1. Jerry Bell on May 8, 2022 at 3:49 pm

Coach Val, we gonna miss you buddy. Kay, Krista, you know he was a special man for me as my HS football coach and long time friend. We won a few, and we lost a few Coach, but thanks for all the great memories. Now go play in that big game in the heavens, and someday I’ll recognize that chuckle when we meet again. You were like a 2nd Father to me, and I’m so lucky to have known you. Tell Mom hello Coach cuz you got me to do things so easily, and she so enjoyed you.

2. B.J. Bonta on May 3, 2022 at 5:00 pm

Jim and I played all of the major sports in high school together. We roomed together at the U. of Missouri one semester. Jim and I made up the fastest football backfield in the state of Missouri in 1962. I had lost track of where Jim lived after he left Mexico, MO I am sorry to hear of his passing and want to pass along to his wife and family my condolences.

3. Jennifer Lowe on May 3, 2022 at 12:07 pm

I loved seeing Coach V. when he’d sub at GV South. He always was so quick-witted but also kind. All of us have surely lost a man of great wisdom, humor, and kindness in his death. May all of his family be comforted and still feel him near each of you in every day.

4. David Adams on May 3, 2022 at 7:37 am

My sincerest condolences, Coach V was a special coach, friend, husband and father. He opened the door to mental toughness and was a role model to follow.

5. Amanda Allen on May 2, 2022 at 8:01 pm

Mr. V will be greatly missed in the GV School District! His humor and care for all of those he interacted with will not be forgotten. I will think of him often.

6. Karen Spires Silver on May 2, 2022 at 4:23 pm

Sending prayers to Family. He was my Driver’s Ed teacher. RIP Mr. V.

7. Linda Johnson on May 2, 2022 at 2:42 pm

Family,
    I am very sorry to hear of Jim’s passing. He joined us as a sub in Dec of 2007. I personally made the phone calls to substitutes for many years. He was always great to talk to and always willing to help out regularly. I have missed him this last year and will continue to miss his phone calls and emails that he would often send.
    Linda Johnson
    Grain Valley School District

8. Rebecca Henley on May 2, 2022 at 2:16 pm

I truly loved him as. Drivers Ed teacher. He made driving fun and doable! He was very uplifting!

9. James Myers on May 2, 2022 at 12:08 pm

Jim was one of the all-time great subs at Grain Valley South Middle School. He was like a full-time member of the staff. He was beloved by students and staff alike.

10. Kim Stowers on May 2, 2022 at 11:49 am

Aww, I had really hoped to have a a chance to harass him on a winter float. His laugh and smile has been and will be missed so much at Grain Valley South Middle. Sending lots of love and prayers to all.

11. Kristen Miller on May 2, 2022 at 11:09 am

We loved having Mr. Valentik sub for us in our Grain Valley buildings. He was always good with the kids and kept things light and positive with the staff members. He will always be remembered by his funny little smiley faces he drew on the board for the kids.

12. Jackie Moccia Lenz on May 2, 2022 at 10:41 am

Dear Kay, I am saddened to learn of the passing of your husband. My prayers for peace and understanding go out to you and your family. Hoping to see you in the near future as it has been way too long. Blessings to you, Kay.

13. Stacey Merlo on May 2, 2022 at 10:38 am

Mr. V was often the first person I saw coming to work at Grain Valley South Middle. He would be in a chair in the front office with a smile and a good morning. I have and will miss seeing him. He was a wonderful man. He will be missed.

14. Rick Boyce on May 2, 2022 at 9:02 am

I am so sorry to see this. Loved working with both Kay and Jim!

15. Lynn Rosenstengel Feger on May 2, 2022 at 6:44 am

So very sorry to hear about this!! Loved by so many as a teacher and a coach. Prayers to Kay and Krista and the rest of the family.

16. Ann Seigfreid Kovar on May 2, 2022 at 5:17 am

Mr V influenced so many to succeed in life. I Loved his class because he made me feel like I could reach heights in singing that could be used in every area of my adult life. What a fun great man!
    Thanks for everything

17. Steve Wolf on May 1, 2022 at 8:12 pm

Coach Val was great. I loved playing football for him as a Soph in fall of 1972. He was considered exemplary as a drivers Ed teacher too. He is a primary reason I became a teacher. 42 years and counting.
    Hubba hubba hubba Coach.

18. Bill Duncan on May 1, 2022 at 7:08 pm

My sincere condolences to Coach Val’s family. Val coached me in football and taught me how to drive. I gave him no end of aggravation. We were neighbors and as I grew up, we grew closer. Val gave me some of the best advice I ever received. Rest In Peace Coach

19. Geoff Wolf on May 1, 2022 at 6:52 pm

My condolences to Coach Val’s family and friends. I learned valuable skills and mental toughness through his coaching. Fond memories!

20. Anita Parrish Wiggins on May 1, 2022 at 6:44 pm

My deepest sympathy Mrs. Valentik prayers for you and family. You and Mr. Valentik were unforgettable teachers to me thank you for your service.

21. Shirley Bolli-Youngs on May 1, 2022 at 5:44 pm

I’m heart broken. I didn’t know Jim was ill. Please accept my condolences.

22. Kay Sterner on May 1, 2022 at 5:38 pm

Kay, so sorry for the sad news about Coach. My hugs and prayers are with you and your family.

23. Randy Higbee on May 1, 2022 at 5:08 pm

You will be missed. Rest in peace.

24. Pam Flynn on May 1, 2022 at 5:07 pm

Kay, I am sorry to hear of Jim’s passing. He was a great guy. He was a student teacher in my junior history class at MHS. My prayers are for your comfort and peace at this time.

25. family. Martin on May 1, 2022 at 4:36 pm

Sending prayers for the family.